A flower hat for my chemise a la reine

I figured I needed a hat when I frolick in the sun for my chemise a la reine photoshoot. (Any weekend now…, really.)

But since the gown is so color-neutral and I didn’t want to stick white silk on a altered 5 dollar hat for an all cotton costume, I let myself be inspired by this particular hat:

Elisabeth of France, Vigee-Lebrun

Élisabeth Louise Vigée-Lebrun. Detail from Madame Elisabeth, 1782.

Clearly, using the real flowers was a no-go, since the cornflowers would wilt before I even finished putting them on the hat. I also suck at identifying most of them, so…

What took the longest was shortening and re-shaping the crown of the hat. The flower crown – because that’s what it is – is thankfully something that you can’t throw a stone at without hitting a tutorial.

So here at the ingredients: wire-cutters, floral tape, floral wire (here already turned into a circle slighly larger than the hat’s crown and wrapped with floral tape), a hat and some fake summer flowers (poppies, cornflowers, wheat).

P1040751 copy P1040752

The first stage was wrapping the greenery around the wire using floral tape.

2

It had its own charm.

Then I added the flowers, using shortened fake flower stems that I wrapped in floral tape, so it didn’t look quite as plastic and then applied to the wire crown with even more floral tape.

3

In between stage with some flowers only loosely applied.

4

Finished crown. The tape is markedly slimmer.

I didn’t sew the crown on. It is so heavy that it is unnecessary. 7

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s